Sunday, August 2, 2009

Say What?!

Yesterday I mentioned working in a man's field. What I mean by that is, I work with mostly men and most of my customers are men. The type of product the company I work for makes is certainly a "man" type product. Ductile iron pipe. It's used in sewer and water treatment plants.

What I really want to mention is that as I work with so many men, I become more and more blunt and short in my dialogue with people. Not short as angry in my answer but more to do with my speech pattern. Men rarely beef up their language. Sure they may add curse words, but they don't say a lot of please, would you, could you or any of the lanuage we women use every day.

I figure that's why I have problems staying friends with women. Thankfully there are a few who understand me and overlook most of my short comings.

Hey, Diane, JoAnn and Sande.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, Carla! You have a lot more friends of the female variety than you're owning up to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very interesting point you have made. If men can't do something you ask them to, they just say they can't; if women can't do something you ask them to, they'll say no but they'll also give an explanation. That's because in our formative years, we are trained to please others. I'd say it is nurture, not nature.

    ReplyDelete