Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dwelling On The Positive

The other day I was clicking on Followers like I often do when I'm visiting people's blogs. I like to see who's out there reading blogs. By doing that I've had the pleasure in "meeting" two kind and interesting ladies. Hi, Suzanne and gaelikaa!

I came across someone's blog where they posted the positive comments from their contest entries. Note...contest entries, not finals. That was such a good idea. So here are some of mine. Keep in mind this is over a total of 10 years (Yes, that's correct. First contest was 1994, but I waited five years to try again.) and 81 entries.

OUT OF THE SHADOWS (Romantic suspense)

Great writing. Great...everything. Kept me reading to find out what happens next. Very intriguing.
2009 Heart of the West

Excellent job! I was really pulled into this story and really want to read more. You have wonderful descriptions and intriguing plot.
2009 Fire and Ice

Your story is riveting, your voice is strong and your talent as a writer is incredible.
2009 Four Seasons

THE SHADOW HEALER (Paranormal)

This is amazing. The emotion and passion are here in spades. This writer really knows how to hook a reader and make them care about the characters. I was totally lost in this selection!
2009 The Linda Howard Award of Excellence

You've got a great grasp of POV and pacing. I was riveted. The story is fresh and new!
2008 Golden Gateway

I think you have created a dynamic hero and heroine in Thorn and Cassidy. They both have incredible depth, and you've done a wonderful job of taking the reader into their heads and hearts. And the sexual tension is palpable.
2008 Indiana's Golden Opportunity

A SHERIFF TO CALL HER OWN (Contemporary)

All the characters seemed like real people. I loved the flow of their speech and their connections to each other.
2008 From the Heart Romance Writers

A really fabulous entry! You're obviously an awesome writer with a strong, strong voice. There are so many stellar moments in your entry. I fully expect you'll see your stories in print one day.
2008 Book of Your Heart

I fell in love with [the hero] right from the start. You did really good with the dialogue and used it to show motivation and character development.
2008 Gotcha!

THE PREACHER'S SON (Contemporary)

It's a nice twist to have the town see the heroine as a "lady" when she actually was a chorus girl made good. There's an intriguing tension between the perceptions of the two characters and their actual pasts.
2007 Golden Gateway (Harlequin/SR's Wanda Ottewell's words and she placed me first)

Terrific writing. You're a top notch writer.
2007 Launching A Star

I love your voice, and the opening scene proves you have a good understanding of small-town community closeness.
2007 Maggies

DEADLY TEMPTATION: THE ONES (Vampire - 1st person)

Love the dialogue. Good, strong voice.
2006 Laurie

I absolutely love the plot.
2006 The Daphne du Maurier Award

As soon as you sell this (and you will) email me 'cuz I wanna read it!!
2005 Launching A Star

DARK DESIRE (Historical)

You write about sex with unflinching courage. I enjoyed references to Medieval items.
2006 Between the Sheets

THE FEMALE CHAUVINIST (Contemporary)

Love the plot. Unique, fun, with just the right hint of suspense.
2005 Melody of Love

Overall good, tight writing. Multiple scene purposes.
2004 Great Expectations

THE CAGED HEART (Historical)

I think your story idea is really great...intrigued in the beginning by the pile of rags that turned out to be the heroine.
2004 Heart to Heart

This is challenging to have such a tragic beginning for your heroine. I like how you work it.
2004 Touch of Magic

THE CHAMPION (Vampire)

The opening grabs you by the throat and pulls you in. The author has an engaging voice and a good, easy way with suspense.
2003 Melody of Love

TREASURE (Vampire)

This is a very well-written and interesting story!
2002 On The Far Side

PRECIOUS (Vampire)

You write with a true sensual prose style that is unusually vivid.
2002 Indiana's Golden Opportunity

The voice/tone is perky, lively and upbeat.
2002 First Impressions

YEARNINGS (Historical)

Strong plot. Dialogue is good...
1999 Emily

CRYSTAL SHADOWS (Romantic Suspense)

I really like your story line. Pacing is good.
1994 Golden Heart

In the 1994 Golden Heart, two judges included comments. One sent three pages of typed notes and the other eleven handwritten pages. Yes. Way back then they did comment on entries. LOL!

As you can tell, this is not all of the entries, but I tried to pull a variety.

Funny thing. I noticed I received more positive comments about my writing as a craft versus my plots or vivid storytelling as I improved. I'm glad I did this. I feel better.

5 comments:

  1. Some fantastic comments there, Carla. Well done.

    And I can't tell you how impressed I am at the number of stories you subbed.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Suzanne. I posted this because I've been so depressed lately and needed to remind myself that my writing's not all trash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You write about sex with unflinching courage."

    :-)

    Hang in there. As you've so clearly illustrated, you've got what it takes. Just keep going! Don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carla! Those comments are great. Your writing is really good and this proves it. Don't get depressed, where's the need? Just keep telling yourself how good you are - just read these comments!

    ReplyDelete