Thursday, November 13, 2008

What Do You Say...

Yesterday, one of my old lunch buddies who had retired a couple years ago came by to say hello. He’d read an earlier manuscript of mine and had said nice things like the writing reminded him of James Patterson. Did I mention he was a friend? LOL! Well, he asked me if I was published yet.

Do you know how much it hurt having to say no? People who never tried to get a book published don’t understand why it takes so long. They expect if you write a book and finish it, presto! somewhere an editor will buy and publish it. Maybe there is if I decided to go the self-published route. To me, that would be saying I give up. Sure I could get a few family and friends to buy and read it, but I want my book on the shelves of every book store in Birmingham and the world!

How do you tell a person in a five minute conversation you had written three books in one year (they would believe everyone does this) and you had a book final in two contests, one considered to be a biggy? If you tell them about the contest, they believe you mean it will be published now. As you can tell, I already had a similar conversation with someone else not in the writing business about it.

They also don’t understand how you’re still maneuvering around the publishing world with query letters, partials and the like in getting your books and name out there. Of course, during the whole conversation with yourself after he leaves, you’re convincing yourself you’re not delusional, fooling yourself about your chances of getting published.

As they say about writing, it’s a lonely business but a part of you must love S&M.

1 comment:

  1. I hate talking to non-writers about writing. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete