
Usually, if I don't forget, I write about something I'm thankful for on Fridays. But I felt the need to tell everyone today that I'm thankful for my dad. I get my love of reading from my dad and his dad. Sadly, he suffered another stroke a couple weeks ago and his speech and balance has gotten worse. Considering he cannot talk clearly, get his thoughts out of his mouth, or even read, he's become terribly depressed.
I plan to see him Sunday or Monday. Though I won't stay but a couple hours as I don't want him to worry about feeding me and my husband. My dad always loved to cook for us. But I plan to take him a copy of my latest contemporary romance manuscript.
My book, A Sheriff To Call Her Own, has a female trucker in it. My dad owned a trucking company and drove them himself until he had his first stroke last year. By the way, he's 77 and didn't have any health issues until this happened. Anyway, I also have a character in the book who's a FBI special agent who has my dad's name. I figured he'll get a kick out of that.
Knowing he can't read now, I hope to read some of the book to him. And maybe I can get his wife to read some of it to him too. I doubt very much he'll ever see me published and he's been my biggest supporter during my journey to madness. So at least he'll get hear one of them.
I plan to encourage him to stick around until I do get published and then he'll need to stick around until I'm on the New Times Best Selling list, and then...in other words, a long, long time.
I love this story! It is great you've had a supportive father and I know he'll enjoy seeing you and hearing your story.
ReplyDelete