Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Historicals

I love reading romantic historicals but I rarely read them anymore. Why? Because I'm tired of those set in Scotland (or with Scottish heroes), in the Regency period, and have women who are goldsmiths or other mostly male dominated professions, rich/poor spinsters solving crimes, or dressing like a man.

Now I'm not saying there aren't books out there without the above elements, but then they have paranormal in them or "actual" historical figures as the hero or/and heroine.

There are two kind of historicals I've really missed: 1) western and 2) medieval.

In a western, I want the man to be a gunman, sheriff, cattleman, anything that would make him tough with a lot of baggage. The woman better not be a newspaper reporter (Yuck!) or a citified rich b***h. She can be strong but recognizes a real man and happy to let him take care of her.

In the medieval, I want the man to be a knight with scars and all. He knows what he wants and knows how to fight for it. (Think Ivanhoe.) And the woman is a woman, knowing a man can be changed with kindness and love. I missed the pageantry of a good medieval. The jousts, armor, horses and beautiful gowns.

Yeah, yeah. I know. I should write the books I want to read. Maybe one day.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I don't like the reporter heroines either.
    Same goes for the prim, proper librarian in contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to tell you to write them yourself...but you already beat me to it, haha.

    ReplyDelete