Monday, November 17, 2008

Reading Level - No! Not On A Flat Surface!

Several years ago, I came across an article that claimed the average reader read at a ninth grade level. Though overall, the U.S. is probably better educated today, I feel the reading level is most likely the same or no more than tenth grade level.

Some of the NYT best sellers I've read appear to meet that criterion. Don’t get me wrong. I prefer books I can get lost in and don’t need a dictionary handy to get through the thing. I just thought it was interesting and thought I would share.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you that I prefer not to have to have a dictionary present at all times when reading....but I do like when an author throws in a word every once in a while in the story that I don't know...it's educational :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's been few occasions where I've pulled out the dictionary (or gone to Dictionary.com) and didn't mind doing so as I love learning new words. But I do have to say, when I look the word up and it means something another simple word would do just as well, it makes me roll my eyes. LOL!

    ReplyDelete