I went to one of my most favorite places to be in the world today. Books-a-Million. While checking out the titles in the romance section, I overheard an employee helping a customer find Charlaine Harris's books. The customer was a man. The employee (male) said the books should be in the fantasy section. They were checking that section one aisle over from where I stood. When they couldn't find it, I heard the employee say in a lower voice (an attempt to keep the customer from being emarrassed I'm guessing), they might find it in the romance section. The employee almost sounded like he couldn't imagine why. LOL!
Seeing series like TrueBlood on television has boost the romance paranormal genre for sure. Maybe we'll see other great works (Linda Howard, Anne Stuart, Sherrilyn Kenyon) no matter the genre on the little and big screen.
Anyway, it's time men finally see what women read/write can be thought provoking and wonderfully entertaining.
Seeing series like TrueBlood on television has boost the romance paranormal genre for sure. Maybe we'll see other great works (Linda Howard, Anne Stuart, Sherrilyn Kenyon) no matter the genre on the little and big screen.
Anyway, it's time men finally see what women read/write can be thought provoking and wonderfully entertaining.
Is this a sequel to yesterday's blog? Hehe.
ReplyDeleteAgain, funny you write about this. I was at a "reunion" type gathering last night and a friend of mine was asking me about my NaNo project (which happens to be paranormal romance, I guess) and he wished me luck and said he probably wouldn't read it though, then he says to me he something along the lines of he couldn't believe I was making a new kind of romance up...like I made the word up.
He couldn't fathom that there's not just ROMANCE, that there's sub-genres of romance. So I informed him, I told him that paranormal romances had a lil extra something, like but not limited to, witches, vampires, weres, demons, etc. and he said "Oh you mean like that new show True Blood", and I said yeah that's based on a paranormal romance. And I swear his eyes bugged out and all he could say was "oh" and he walked away.
LOL really now???
Too funny. Wish I could've been there! LOL!
ReplyDelete