Saturday, March 27, 2010

Man-Speak

Every once in a while, a man's POV will jar me out of the story. He'll say something that sounds so much like what a female will say or think. The female author had forgotten for a moment she's writing the narrative from the man's POV. Now there's probably a few men out there who think like women do, but those are few and far between.

Men have a totally different way to communicate and though it can cause a problem at times, overall I'm glad they don't talk like women. Heck, even I get tired of how some women talk. In my day job, I work with a lot of men and I've learned how to keep my conversations short and to the point. Now I'm not always good at it, but it comes in handy in speeding up my workload.

Most (note most, not all) men, even during male-on-male conversations, keep their sentences short. It doesn't mean they never talk at length. It's just they don't often use a lot of compound sentences. So they can talk with a buddy for two hours but easily cover hundred subjects.

An example of another part of man-speak is the names they use for women's lingerie. (Can you tell this is what jarred me out the story?) They'll say bra, panties, or underwear even. Then there are those who are totally uncomfortable with mentioning them and they'll call them boulder-holders or granny panties or a few other silly nicknames.

But they will rarely call them demi-bras, underwires, hiphuggers, thongs, bikini, etc. If they do, it's because they were married before or are have several vocal sisters. But even if they do know what to call them, they'll avoid the right name just to save their manhood. LOL!