Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Being Vision Impaired

Do you ever feel like you’re vision impaired when it comes to your writing? I do. I feel like I’m looking through a View-Master. You know the binocular type toy so popular when I was a kid.

Though everything in front of me looks beautiful and three dimensional, I can't keep in my mind what happened in the last reel (chapter). It bothers me. So in the book's "History" file, I write a brief synopsis of each chapter as I'm writing them. Any plot points I need to solve or clarify in future chapters are set in bold print. Any special quirks are set in red. Like dimples, tattoos, cracks knuckles when nervous, etc. This way if anything interrupts the story (life does get in the way), I can read the little synopses and not have to read the whole book to get back in the swing of things.

I love lots and lots of notes. One of the drawbacks of being ADHD.