Thursday, October 7, 2010

Anger Management

When you have a friend angry about something…let’s say a situation at her job, do you try to calm her down and make her see the other side or do you nod your head and say “I understand what you mean?”

If the friend just appears to be letting off steam, I’ll agree and nod my head, listening intently, adding words like, “I can’t believe he/she did that,” “Oh, my goodness, that’s awful,” or “Some people don’t have a lick of sense.”

After she gets it all off her chest, she’ll realize what a good friend you are and how you’re a great listener. Too often when you try to calm a person down, they’ll turn that anger on you. So you have to tread carefully, and usually listening is best.

Unless they have a gun. Then try to calm them down and see the other side. Be sure to duck behind cover first.