Friday, February 5, 2010

Another Day In Paradise

One of the guys in my section has gotten a new job in another department. He will be moving to another building and his office will have a large picture window. From what I understand, it’s not a promotion, but a lateral move. It’s just that this department has a section of the building with several offices and each office has a window or two in it. Last time I was in the department, meeting with a couple of people, I noticed something that disturbed me. The men are in the offices with the windows and the women in cubicles against a blind wall, no windows. Only one of the men is in a position to be considered to be management. And if you’re thinking the women are secretaries, no. Only one of them would be considered in that type of position. From what I know the women’s jobs are as important as the men and in some cases, not much different.

Though I’m not in the same office, I know I would love to have a office. One where I could close the door and have some quiet time to finish working on a job or finish a call without interruption or being over heard. But especially to have a window. I sit in a cube in the center of a building with no windows with five cubicles around me and the complete room has around fifty people in it. It gets plenty noisy in there.

I’m thankful for my job, but it still disturbs me with the unequal treatment I continue to see in the workplace between men and women.