Of course, there are authors out there who receive an offer of representation the first time they query, just as there are authors whose first books were published. And I know for sure there are others who have more rejections than I do. This is what I tell myself everytime I receive a rejection. Like I did today.
I took it in stride and thought to myself , "How sad," and didn't think any more about it until I got home. After a little while I realized I wasn't acting like myself. In fact I was tired and quiet. Then I remembered the rejection email. Funny how you try not to let something bother you, but your body will let you know what's going on.
Sorry to be so depressing lately. I'm really trying to keep my chin up. There's no way I can give up but changing strategies (again) may be in my future. :-)
I hope this comes out right... but I'm proud of you. I've never even submitted... well, with the exception of a short story about 2 years ago... rejection. But that wasn't a romance, it was a personal experience story. I am afraid. You are brave.
ReplyDeleteAnd why not try another strategy? It will at least feel fresh. I remember reading the method that Kresley Cole took to get published. Found it! This approach appeals to me...
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2007/11/30/my-first-sale-by-kresley-cole-the-rule-of-25-dont-try-this-at-home/
Hugs,
Mary
Thanks, Mary. You shouldn't be afraid. At least, they don't look you in the eye and say your baby isn't what they want. Emails and letters are fine.
ReplyDeleteYeah. I read Kresley's blog before. Good advice. Another author, whose name escapes me, use to send out in 10's.
Though I've given up contests for now, I'm working hard on other avenues. :-)
Rejections are always horrid. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteX