Thursday, December 1, 2011

Want Your Stories Vanilla Or With Sprinkles and Swirls?

My kids love to tease me on how I love for the interior walls of my house to be white. So I gave in, and my husband and I painted the living room, kitchen, hallway and bathroom a sandy tan color. They turned out rather nice.

The reason I mention this is I was thinking today about some of the things people say in my book's reviews. I know. I'm to ignore the reviews and write what I like. And I do love my story. If someone else had written Circle of Desire, I would've placed the book on my keeper shelf and look for more books from that author.

Let me tell you why.

I love books where the hero and heroine are different from the hundreds of other books out there. I like the guy to be really good and really bad and all in the same book. He's not vanilla. He doesn't always do the right thing for the right reason. He's human. He's influenced by what has happened to him in the past and what is going on in his life at the time and how he wants the future to be. The only part of the book I want to be the same as all other romances is that when he falls in love, he falls hard. That helps the happy ending to be believable.

The heroine needs to be strong but not bitchy. She voices her opinion when and how she likes. She doesn't bite her tongue, unless she wants the guy to stick his foot into his own mouth. She can stand toe to toe with the hero and still come out being her own person. BUT, I want the book to be believable when it comes to life. I know that when a woman and a man are trained in martial arts, most men can beat women. Not always, but men are made to be strong. That's just the way they're built. (THANK YOU, GOD!)  I don't want my men to be dumb as I want the women to be smart. So women are smart enough not to try to beat a guy with strength but with her brains. And sometimes, when the woman falls in love, she doesn't mind the man being stronger. There is nothing wrong with that. I want my woman (beginning to sound weird, but you know I'm talking about the heroines I write in my books. LOL!) to love being a woman. She doesn't want to be a man. She can do a man's job, but still be a woman at the end of the day and be happy about it.

None of my heroines are abused by the heroes. Especially in Circle of Desire, Olivia loves to play rough with Collin. She likes that he gets turned on when they fight. They're not hitting each other in the face. Actually, it's more like wrestling, with one tripping the other and a lot of rubbing of one body against the other.  She's not afraid of Collin. She knows he's a good guy having to do a hard job.

If you want goody two-shoes heroes and heroines who whine about how their high school sweetheart cheated on them or how their daddies didn't get them their ponies when they were little, go read the vanilla books. Please don't read mine.

Or just grow up.

[By the way, if you like Circle of Desire, please go to Amazon and Barnes & Noble and/or anywhere you can rate it and do so. And if you feel like it, say one sentence of something positive.  If you didn't like it, then why in the heck are you reading my blog? LOL!]