Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Re-Run #4

This one is from I Just Wanna Sit Here and Read blog, October 20, 2011. It was a lot of fun to write. Hope you enjoy it.

You’re living on the edge by allowing me free rein in deciding what to post. But I’ll behave and do what I love to do more often than I like to admit. Make up lists. Yes. My OCD is showing. To make it a little less dry, I’ve decided to let my two main characters in Circle of Desire, Olivia St. Vincent and Collin Ryker, help out.




Carla: Olivia, what are the top five traits you look for in a hero?

Olivia: Well, let’s see. I never imagined falling for a man who talked in a near whisper most of the time. Though I must admit, when he talks, a room full of arguing operatives shuts up in seconds. That’s a man who can lead.

Carla: So number one would be a commanding voice.

Olivia: More like number five. The voice helps get my engine running, but it’s not number one.

Carla: Olivia, don’t forget this needs to stay PG. So no physical traits to be included in the list.

Olivia: I’m hurt. You don’t trust me?

Carla: Let’s say I know you too well.

Olivia: Very well then, let’s get to it. Trait number four: a hero must be comfortable with handling weapons of all types. You know how I love guns, especially sniper rifles, the more powerful the better.

Carla: So an expert in weaponry. I guess, when it comes to a trait, it would fall in the category of being protective. That would be number four. Three more to go.

Olivia: A hero must be honorable. He would never take advantage of those weaker.

Carla: Now we’re getting somewhere. I agree totally.  That would be number three. So you think Collin is honorable?

Olivia: Humph!  Who said we’re talking about him? I thought you wanted to know about heroes.

Carla: Collin is certainly hero material. He could’ve killed you instead of bringing you into his organization, the OS.

Olivia: He could’ve tried.

Carla:  Olivia?

Olivia: Oh, okay. Yes. He handled it rather well the time I held the sniper rifle on him and accused him of betraying me to The Circle, though he did eventually hand me over to them.

Carla: You know he didn’t have a choice. Your ex-boss would’ve killed the two OS operatives he held hostage.

Olivia: Yeah, yeah. Don’t beat me over the head with it. Collin’s all noble and a bag of chips.

Carla: You sound almost jealous.

Olivia: Everyone thinks he’s God’s Gift to the universe and I’m evil incarnate. Wouldn’t you get tired of being painted like that?

Carla: I’m sorry. You’re right. Let’s continue on with our list.

Olivia:  Alright. Number two. Hmm, this is getting more difficult. I can’t include body parts?

Carla: No. Physical. Traits.

Olivia: Don’t get snippy. What is it that you call a hero who’s a push over when tears are involved?

Carla:  Maybe you’re thinking compassionate.

Olivia: Sure. Compassionate. I like how it goes along with passionate.

Carla: Ooolivia.

Olivia: That’s not a body part. Geez. You’re no fun.

Carla: Let’s move to number one. What’s the most important trait?

Olivia: Easy. He must be intelligent.

Carla: Smart. I agree.

Olivia: Collin was smart enough to fall in love with me.

Carla:  I thought we weren’t talking about Collin.

Olivia: Of course, the man’s got a big enough—

Carla: Oooliva!

Olivia: Now who’s being naughty? I was saying he had a big enough ego without me adding to it.

Carla: Okay. Go over there while I talk with Collin.

Olivia: Fine. But don’t believe a word he says.



Carla: Shh! Behave, Olivia. Collin, thank you for being so patient.  It’s only fair to ask you a similar question. What are the top five traits you look for in a heroine? Starting with number five.

Collin: Definitely confidence. A woman must know her own mind and be sure of her abilities.

Carla:  Much like Olivia, wouldn’t you say?  

Collin: She’s certainly confident in her skill with guns.

Carla: Why do I get a feeling you’re saying she isn’t always sure of herself?

Collin: At times, her bravado can be an act.

Carla: I see. She acts tough but is a softy inside.

Collin: That’s true though she hates to admit it. Number four is adaptable.

Carla: Uh, I’m not sure what you mean by that.

Collin: She understands the world isn’t black and white. There’s a lot of gray. Sometimes what you believe is true, isn’t.

Carla: Oh, okay. Like her believing The Circle were the good guys. That is, they were at one time, but had gone to the dark side you could say.

Collin: Yes.

Carla: I like how you’re up front about Olivia being the heroine you’re describing.

Collin: She can be when she sets her mind to it.

Olivia:  I heard that!

Carla: This is Collin’s turn! Go! Let us talk.

Collin: Number three is intelligence. A heroine needs not only brains but street smarts too.

Carla: I find that interesting.  Would you like to speculate on why she placed it as number one for heroes?

Collin: No.

Carla: Would you at least explain the sexy grin you’re wearing?

Collin: No.

Carla: Alrighty then. Let’s move on to number two.

Collin: Number two is a heroine must be loyal.

Carla: Loyal? You have to explain that one.

Collin: A heroine will sacrifice herself for the greater good.

Carla: Oh, no, you didn’t. You didn’t pull the Buffy card.

Collin: I’m not sure of what you mean, but a heroine will stand by those she loves even when it might endanger herself.

Carla: Okay. You can have that one.

Collin: The top one is independence. There’s nothing sexier about a woman, than one who knows her own mind and doesn’t need to lean on others, including a man, to achieve her goals.

Carla: Wow! I love hearing a man say that. When a man isn’t threatened by a woman knowing her own mind … wow! That’s sexy.

Collin: I’m taken.

Olivia: You tell her!

Carla: Uh-huh. I wasn’t … I didn’t mean .... Oh, heck.

Olivia: Come here, sugar, so I can show you one of my goals.

Carla: Anyway, thanks to Olivia and Collin for helping me out. Quit that, you two! For goodness sakes, get a room.

I hope you learned a little about what it takes to be a hero or heroine, and maybe a little about the people whose story the Circle of Desire is about. I will warn you the story is very hot, and the world they live in violent. A world filled with assassins and betrayal. But even Olivia and Collin find a sanctuary from all the craziness by loving each other.

Be sure to always make time for reading.