Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Dangers of Reading a Regency


I use to love reading Regencies. Barbara Cartland (Please don't comment that you've never heard of her. If you never heard of her, you're too young to read my blog anyway.) and Johanna Lindsey did it wonderfully. And there are a couple authors who write them that are still automatic buys for me (Hey, Lisa Kleypas! Hello, Victoria Dahl!)

Now the market has been flooded with them and there's so few other historical choices (Remember the Middle Ages!!! NO! Not my age, the era!! Sheez, children!), I'm rather tired of the prim and proper ladies and gentlemen.

But another reason I try to avoid most Regencies is I find myself talking like them, Or heaven forbid, if I work on my manuscript minutes after reading one, it leeches into my voice. And I can tell you, my sheriff better not sound like "of Nottingham" or my vampire like "his lordship."

6 comments:

  1. Carla,
    You make me laugh. Isn't is funny how what you read can affect how you write? Heaven forbid my futuristic vampire sound like Mr. Darcy. Well, I guess he does a little due to his age, but oh well. I do know what you mean and I really do miss those middle age era romances too. Maybe we should start a petition.

    I haven't had much time for reading the last couple of weeks but I'm looking forward to some book time after I finish my short story. I'll reward myself then. Maybe I'll grab the new JR Ward or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so far behind in reading, too!!
    I would love to see more variety in historical romances time periods and settings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I mentioned the dearth (my fancy word for the day) of Medieval books to a friend a couple months ago and she said I should write one. You know, that's one of the drawbacks to being a writer and having writer friends. You just can't complain. LOL!

    BTW, I do have a completed medieval book. My very first book and it reeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...Don't you hate first books? I have several that will never ever see the light of day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hysterical. Lisa Kleypas is one of my favorite historical romance writers. Do you remember the ones by Roberta Gellis? That old series. It was good, but she head-hopped like crazy, and now I find them a bit weird to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! Robert Gellis. Loved her medievals. In fact, five years ago I had the pleasure of meeting her and getting her to autograph my favorite book of hers. BOND OF BLOOD. I read it when I was 12. Didn't understand some of the parts (sex) but loved it. It was my first romance to read.

    ReplyDelete