Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Adding Those Words

Well, I'm up to 70,144 computer count words. I still need 10,000 or more to go. What I can't help but wonder is, will I be taking more of them out later? Like when an editor buys it. See, I'm still working on being positive. I do have to say I've found several areas that needed further explanation by way of dialogue or action and where I skipped a couple key points that needed to be brought up earlier. So most of what I've added is needed. I think.

I'm half way through the manuscript and certain the ending needs some big time help. So hopefully will need a large section of about five thousand words.

Really, I'm not sure if I explain enough. The plot with a couple subplots thrown in are certainly enough to make the book possibly even longer. I know the story and the people in my head, but don't want to bore people with too much backstory of why they are like they are. Finding that balance between the two is the trick, isn't it? LOL!

3 comments:

  1. Adding 10,000 words. Wow. Big job. I feel for you and yes the balance between back story and character development is tricky. I like to sprinkle it in as I go along.

    Hang tough, girl! You'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I was just looking at who was following your blog and I had to snicker...Those who read my blog that don't know better? LOL. You are a riot! You make me smile, Carla! See, you've done your good deed for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Most of my friends just shake their heads. All part of "That's Carla for you." LOL!

    Oh, funny, my word verification is dingle. LOL!

    ReplyDelete