Unlike most authors, I don't have a problem naming my books. Though on occasion I'll change them and that's usually because 1) too many people tell me they hate the title (THE FEMALE CHAUVINIST) or 2) it doesn't suit the feel of the book (BAD, BAD TO THE BONE).My latest book started off with the title of A SPY STORY because I knew the type of book it would be but not the "feel" of it. As I kept writing I realized the heroine is a really bad woman. I mentioned that at the last writers' meeting and someone said so she's bad, bad to the bone, huh? I liked that. So I called it BAD, BAD TO THE BONE. I kept writing on it and realized that title really didn't do it justice. BBTHB makes it sound kind of like a Stephanie Bond book. Nothing wrong with that as she's a wonderful author, but I always think of a humorous heroine, and my heroine isn't funny at all. She's more deadly than droll.
That meant going back to the title board and figuring it out. Then it hit me. She was coming out of the shadows into the bright light and a new world order (that is for her). So the new title is OUT OF THE SHADOWS. Tada!
Yeah, yeah, I know. The editor will most likely change it, but at least when she sees the title for the first time, she'll get a feeling of what the book is about.
No comments:
Post a Comment