Sunday, June 26, 2011

My 24 Is Your 24

 I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say, "I don't have time to _____."  Usually, the blank is filled in with read or write. Actually, numerous things, but for the sake of space and time (ironic), I'll stick to read and write.

Anyway, when I hear that, I shake my head and wonder, "In their world, doesn't their day consist of twenty-four hours like mine?" If you live across the street, town or the globe, don't you have twenty-four hours? Maybe some places have more daylight but time is consistent. Though I will admit at different points in our lives, time runs faster or slower accordingly to how much you're enjoying the moment. Think dentist versus water park.

So I decided to go over my weekend so far.

Saturday morning, 7:00 a.m.
That's late or early whatever way you want to think of it. I normally get up between 8 or 9 a.m. on the weekend. During the week, it's between 5 and 5:30 a.m. to write. I had stayed up to 1:30 a.m. the night before, but I needed to pull a contest entry and refresh my memory on it.  It had finaled and they wanted a 1,500 word or less synopsis.  The synopsis I had for it wasn't finished. Heck. The book isn't finished. About all I ended up doing was reading what I had of a synopsis and answering some emails.  Of course, checking out Facebook.

Before I knew it, it was 10 a.m. and I needed to get dressed, make up on and go to Books-a-Million to pick up some gift cards for the speakers at the writers meeting. Then I picked up my lunch and stopped at a bank for change.  I arrived at the meeting seven minutes to spare (I HATE BEING LATE and amazingly I wasn't) and set up the tripod with the meeting sign. I was to meet a friend outside to help her with her wheelchair, but got to talking...SORRY, SUSAN!  Cell phones don't work in the basement. Thanks, Chris, for helping her out.  I ate lunch standing up as I directed people to chairs, letting them know what the heck was going on.

During the meeting, I took pictures, explain the set up to the authors and asked them questions to keep the meeting going. After the meeting, I took up money from those wanting to buy books.  Then I hauled the books with help (Thanks, Jenn, for your help!) along with tripod, sign, purse to my car after stopping to help Susan get her wheelchair into her car. The woman is amazing. She doesn't let nothing slow her down.

A twenty minute drive and I arrive home. I changed the website to next month's program and updated future ones. Checked Facebook (posted a couple statuses), chapter blog (Romance Magicians), and wrote a post for my personal one (see below). Helped hubby cook dinner. Now, don't think he's the most wonderful husband to cook with me. It is nice and he can be sweet, but it's a control thing with him. He believes I'm a horrible cook (I am) and it's all in self-defense.

Checked Facebook (addicted) and sent email out to writers loop asking for help in thinking up titles for the books to be published. Editor didn't like the one I used. That's okay, I'm flexible. Looked at book covers, getting an idea of what I like. (Usually male chests, but I'm not sure that's what they're looking for from what the editor mentioned.) I even pulled together some pictures and made up some covers. Not sure if I will share with editor but it was fun. I watched a little television while doing this. Then at 10 p.m., I returned to the final entry and synopsis. I fell asleep at my computer.  Bed at almost midnight. That's early for me, but my feet were swelling. Hate that.

Sunday
Then up at 7:30 a.m., worked on revising entry and completed synopsis.  Sent several emails to writers loop. Took shower, soaked in tub (yes, one after the other -- love to read while lying in the tub - which I did) and then dried hair (no make up today). Placed a load of clothes in the washer, hung up clothes, and washed out tub. Wrote this blog.  Then next I plan to revise book #1 (OUT OF THE SHADOWS) one more time before sending to editor.  I should finish it this evening.

After I help hubby cook (really, it's a control thing for him), I'll clean the kitchen and do a little vacuuming and dusting. I plan to wrap up the evening writing a few words in book #2 (IN THE SHADOWS), but first my bio (updated) and a short description of book #1 (updated).  Oh, and somewhere in between I need to total up the book sale and send in the funds to our treasurer. The leftover books will be used at our luncheon and/or door prizes at meetings.

FYI - during the week, I've been working 8-1/2 to 11 hrs and coming home to cook, clean and write. I normally get in bed between eleven and midnight. Plus I need to send out notices about our workshop in July.  But then that's another totally different 24 hrs.