Saturday, September 3, 2011

What I Learn From Funny People

If you've been reading my posts for a while or following me on Facebook, you know that I believe people who are laugh-out-loud funny are smart. Well, they are. Susan Elizabeth Phillip, Victoria Dahl, Will Farrell, and so many others.

When I got my car last year, I signed up for XM radio and have been enjoying the comedy stations. Some more than others as I like clean comedy. Strange considering I can cuss like a sailor and not think much about it. Plus I don't think nothing of using foul language in my books. All part of making the characters true to themselves. But when it comes to the comedians, I've found the cleaner ones are funnier.  Plus listening to the stations brought me out of a funk I had been in at the time.

Have you as a reader/writer really listened to a good comedian and broken down his/her story to see what makes it so funny? I've been doing that and found they are great storytellers. They use words to exaggerate the moment. They paint pictures of those moments in time and do such a good job that we laugh so hard we cry. Yep. You can learn a lot from funny people.

Here's a video of one of my favorite comedians, Jeanne Robertson. Enjoy. Be sure to have a tissue to wipe up the tears of laughter.