Monday, January 10, 2011

A Reader

I remember being a little girl of maybe five reading SCAT CAT SCAT to my mom in her beauty salon. My mom, brother and sister read some, but I was the one always with a book. It wasn't until years later I found out that dad was a reader. He wasn't around a lot when I was growing up, so I don't remember seeing him with anything but the newspaper.


What made me think of that was I eldest daughter is a reader (we hope the youngest will be one day - college is taking up most of her time now) and she kept up with her list of books she read last year. Seventy-four, I believe. She was proud of that number and she had a right to be, but then she read on someone's blog that they had read over hundred. I wonder if they have a day job and children? I know that Stephen King usually reads over two hundred in a year. Amazing.


That got me to wondering how many books do I read in a year? I know there are several I only read half way. A few years ago I decided I wouldn't force myself to read a book I no longer enjoy. The reasons I'm not getting into the book can vary. Maybe because the heroine did something stupid, the hero is caveman-like (all sex, no brain), plot is going nowhere, author promises and doesn't deliver over and over again (e.g., almost have sex three times or more in a row but something always stops them) or I just lose interest in finding out what happens next.

So I decided to keep a list on this blog (to the right) of the books I read and finished. Only those I would recommend will I place a star next to them. The ones without stars may not really have anything really wrong with them, otherwise I wouldn't finish them, it's just I had to struggle to finish, I was disappointed with how the author handled the romance or didn't like the ending. They all end happy, just sometimes they appear rushed or dragged out.

I thought about making a list of those I don't finish, but that wouldn't be a positive thing. And I want this blog to be positive. So I might keep that list somewhere else private and let you know how many (number only) that I didn't finish.

It's going to be interesting to see how many I do read.