Thursday, January 20, 2011

Male Author

I’m reading a book recommended by a friend. In fact, she liked it so well, she gave it to me. So I’m reading a book written by a man and I’m rather leery about it. Why? Mainly, from past experience, I’ll probably be disappointed. Because rarely do they provide the emotional rollercoaster I love in a book. So far, this author in particular has talked about the tax on the protagonist’s house, mentioned numerous times "the dynamics of the city," and described the weather. The rest of the story has been interesting, but the going from present to past tense and back again along with first person to second to third and...you get the idea, is very jarring. I’m giving the book a couple more chapters then we’ll see if it is worth my time reading the rest. I don’t have much hope.

Yes. I bias.