A couple times lately going home, I've passed a jogger on my street. The road is five miles long with lots of dips and curves and no sidewalks. In fact, in some places it has deep ditches. Twice now I've come around a curve and then POW! he's there. Thankfully I don't go THAT fast (I promise, Diane). What I don't get is that the fellow has to be in his forties or older and still doesn't know he needs to face the traffic. You know, so you can jump off the road if some lunatic comes speeding by. I've thought about stopping and letting him know in a nice, concerned manner, but he has already shown he's nuts and probably wouldn't appreciate my interference.(I know you like hearing me say this, Diane, and it's a facetious one.) Bless his heart.
It sounds like the beginings of a story...
ReplyDeleteYou're right not to stop. He could be anyone.
Cyclists worry me. We have a lot of them around here on the rural roads. Like you, I don't go that fast, but it's always a shock when you round a bend and there they are.
Whenever I hear of a pedestrian or cyclist being hit by a car, I can't help but wonder if it was more the pedestrian or cyclist's fault.
ReplyDeleteThe joggers don't bother so much -- but you're right about your friend on the busy road. He needs some guidance!
ReplyDeleteAs for cyclists: I'm sure there are cyclists who are very nice and law-abiding citizens. But in general, cyclists drive me crazy. My husband says it's against the law to pass a cyclist. I prefer to think he's wrong on this, and I pass them.
It also annoys me when they disregard stop signs and slot ride in traffic. If they're on the road, they need to be obeying the laws!
End of rant. :-)
JoAnn
I believe in some cases, they're just unaware they must obey the same laws as automobilies, JoAnn. When I was a kid, I remember watchin films on safety. I wonder if they stil do that? My kids never mentioned it.
ReplyDelete