Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Gotta Say It

Yesterday, I received my entry back from a contest. It was too funny. Judges are crazy when they say something like, "You have a strong voice." They actually type those words on the comment section of the score sheet TWO TIMES. Really. And then they score me a 3 out of 5 in answer to the question, "Is the voice strong?" LOL! Gotta love it.

Or one judge said I had an intriguing plot. While the other one said there was big issues with the plot. Considering this contest did not require a synopsis, how did she know?

Oh, oh, and the judge that objected to my steamy chapter and even told me "I was done reading then." I thought of telling the coordinator as the judge should've told the coordinator she didn't like sex in the first chapter and give it over to another to judge. I guess that's why she gave me low scores in areas that didn't make sense and proved she didn't read the whole thing. ::sigh::

I feel sorry for her is all I can say about that.

You know when I read an entry, I don't go by my personal taste. I look at the writing and does it meet the criteria of the contest's score sheet. In the Golden Heart I gave a historical entry with time travel in it a 9 (highest score). Even though I dislike time travels, I thought it was what a book should be, easy to read and actually good.

6 comments:

  1. I think the whole Chapter Contest Machine needs to be revamped. So many people enter that there is a serious shortage of judges, which makes the contest coordinators beg for anybody to be a judge, which then means the poor souls whose manuscripts are judged by these untrained anybodies are s.o.l. (And don't you dare tell anyone that I wrote that wholly unreadable run-on sentence! :-)

    I'm so glad you're coordinating our LHAoE. I wish we could require our judges to take our training course, but I know we can't.

    Contests are just a crap shoot. You know that.

    I made the mistake of volunteering to judge a contest's romantic suspense category a while back. I was appalled at how many of the entries started out with the most gruesome murder scenes imaginable. In spite of my recoil from the graphic scenes, I tried to focus on the writing and the story. I think I managed to give good feedback. And then I made sure never to volunteer for this category again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, JoAnn. I don't judge RS if I can help it for that same reason. And I don't normally judge "speciality genres" of contests, mainly because they include SciFi. Love watching it, dislike reading it. (Sorry to those who write it. Thankfully I'm only one person.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How completely & utterly exhausting. Ughh! You've got serious "girly gonads" just for being able to throw yourself out there like you do for a contest. ...Oh, and I mean, seriously...she gave you a 3 out of 5 on Voice? Good grief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally crazy, isn't it? Thanks, sweet Candi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your score sheet just shows how subjective it all is and proves we should keep subbing until we find a judge or an editor who's on our wavelength.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all for the editor, Suzanne. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete