Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Ups and Downs of Conferences

Yesterday, I had an empty date to fill for the Romance Magicians' blog and decided to do a little advertising for the Silken Sands Conference. Check it out and go. You won't regret it. Even if you don't get the appointment you want or the request you need, there's always the beach. How can anyone be sad there?

It got me to thinking about all of the conferences I've been to and if you've been reading this blog (few do), you'll know that I've been to LOTS of them. Around 20 in nine years or so. Last year was the first time in nine years that I didn't go to one.

I'm having to relook at how I approach conferences. Always before, I looked to see what editors and agents were coming and that usually helped me decide. Those important appointments/contacts, you know. I guess now I need to plan to do workshops. Of course, networking is still important.

Sure I would love to stay at Avon forever, but in this world of change, that may not be possible. They may drop me or I may want to change genres, and publishers don't always want an author to do that. That is, if the series they're writing is successful. If you've been reading my blog, you'll know that I don't believe mine could be called that so far. I'm a perpetual optimist with a thread of cynical belief in Murphy's Law. I'm still hoping that once Avon Impulse places Circle of Desire at 99 cents, that will increase the public's interest in my future books. Then they won't have to mark any more of mine down that low.

Side note: I really need to write a blog about free and low priced books, especially to do with self-publishing and what I think about the whole thing. (Mix.)