Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bossy versus Suggestions

From what I’ve heard recently, I’m bossy. Strange. I never thought of myself as bossy. Now maybe when my girls were 18 and younger, they could say that about me. That’s only right. I’m their mother and should tell them what to do. But when it comes to others outside my home, no. I firmly believe in allowing others to find their own way. If I’m familiar with something, I won’t hesitate in giving suggestions but I don’t expect anyone to follow those suggestion unless they believe they’re good ones.

And funny thing is I always (at least I think I do) say “I suggest…” or “In my opinion….” I really don’t understand why people get offended by someone’s suggestions/opinions. They don’t have to follow them. And I can tell you I’ll be the last person to say, “I told you so” if they don’t listen to them. I’ve had it done to me many times. There’s no way one person can take everyone opinions and suggestions to heart. We would go crazy doing so. But if you ask for people’s opinions, you have to at least respect that they offer. I can’t stand how some people will not offer suggestions or opinions when asked and then later tell you where you went wrong. Now that’s just not right.

I have to keep reminding myself I can’t make everyone happy or get them to like me. I guess I could go around “sulled up” (southern for sulking) and feeling sorry for myself. But what good would that do? I will continue to give suggestions when asked to do so. The rest of the time, I’ll bite my lip.

I’m sure before you know it, I’ll have full lips like people for some strange reason think are sexy.

[Add: Maybe the reason some people think I'm bossy is because at work I have to sound sure of myself when I talk with my customers. Since I work with mainly men and deal with mainly male customers, if I didn't sound like I know what I'm talking about, they would chew me up and spit me out daily. I'm sure some of that spills over to by "personal" life, but like I said, I try then to add "I suggest" or "my opinion."]