Yeah, yeah. I know you're tired of reading about good attitudes and positive outlooks, but I had made the decision a few months ago to work on mine. So everyone will just have to suffer along with me.
Not that it's hard to do. It's only you have to play a lot of pretend. And since I'm a writer, I feel I'm rather good at hiding from the hard facts of life.
To keep a good attitude, you have to decide you won't worry about the things you can't change. By myself, I cannot make the price of gas go down, the cost of groceries, taxes, power bills, etc. Instead I think about the things I can change about me. So I bought a treadmill and tell myself it's fun to walk a mile each day while listening to books on my iPod. And I work hard on enjoying the beautiful fall days, love stories on TV, writing on my books, and seeing my children.
Today when I was at the grocery store (which I hate to go) I made myself get into the oldies they like to play and made myself smile (including my eyes) at strangers. You know it's kind of odd people take you smiling for no reason at them. Some smiled back (mostly the older women). Some looked at me as if I planned to steal their purse (younger women). While others would quickly look the other way (men of all ages - the younger because they probably thought I knew their mother and the older because they thought I was flirting with them. LOL!).
Anyway, I came away from a chore I hate doing, feeling pretty good. Yep! Attitude is important.
No comments:
Post a Comment