As in any business you get into, your reputation is the key. Thus, don't have blogs known for bashing anyone in or out of any business you're in and make sure you let people know what you're doing - in a good positive way.
For more years than I would like to think of, I hid my writing. The first person I ever read a small snippet of a story to made fun of it. What do you expect from a little brother? Even if he's six foot one. Years later I let my older sister read some, and she was such a sweetheart, she went on and on about how she wanted to read more. She couldn't get the story out of her mind and all. Love that woman. Anyway, it was because of her and the realization if I didn't do something about my growing obsession, I would never get published. So I joined RWA, but that was all I did for a long time.
Well, my confidence still wasn't at the level I needed it to be until the call went out over the loop about needing articles for the local chapter's newsletter and Nancy Jenkins (I believe she was the newsletter editor at the time and one of the past presidents) suggested an article about history tidbits. I jumped on it. I love history and I wrote nearly 100 articles about history and writing over the next few years.
After about twenty articles, I worked up the courage to go to a meeting and people recognized my name. Astounding! Before you knew it, I was going to every meeting. It was wonderful. I found out I loved attention (only positive, of course).
During the next few years, I volunteered or was voted into office as Membership Chair, PAN Liaison, Vice President, President, Webmaster, Conference Chairperson, Luncheon Chairperson, M&R Chairperson, and Linda Howard Award of Excellence Contest Coordinator. And including Newsletter Editor for another chapter.
So when we had a freelance reporter from Birmingham's LIPSTICK magazine come and visit, my chapter was so excited and the article turned out rather nice if I say so myself. Check it out - click here.
It's a beautiful magazine I've enjoyed so much. Colorful, funny, thought provoking and a joy to read. Of course, I'm rather bias since they have my name in it now. LOL!
No comments:
Post a Comment