Friday, February 20, 2009

Thankful Friday

This week I received two phone calls that almost gave me heart attacks. One was from New York, New York to my cell phone and they hung up. I thought, "Oh, no! I didn't get to my phone in time and it was an editor!" Then I remembered the five manuscripts with New York editors were two to four years old. No way was it one of those. I Googled the number. Nope! Not an editor. Just a marketing call. Good thing they hung up.

The second one happened today. It was a call from Ontario, Canada. Now that was a possibility. I sent a partial to SuperRomance (Harlequin) on January 3. The person asked, "Is this a business number?" I said, "Yes." They said, "Sorry." Then hung up. Of course, I Googled that number. Nope. :::sigh:::

So what am I thankful for? For having the hope that one day one of those calls will be for real. And for not having a heart attack.

1 comment:

  1. LOL Awww. That's both funny and sad. But I like that you're optimistic. I guess you have to be. Now that I think about it, being a writer is a lot like being an actor. You have to audtion hundreds of times and then hope for a callback. Most of the time you don't get one, and end up getting critiques about your performance. You then get a little discourage. But then one day, when you least expect it, you get "the call" and it's wonderful, and so worth all the rejection and the countless times your heart skipped a beat when the phone rang. It's the same with authors. :D Thanks for my mini epiphany!

    ReplyDelete