Depression is so depressing. LOL! Sorry. I couldn't help it. You have to remember I love slap-stick and corny jokes, so I go for the easy laughs. Though depression is really no joking matter. And I know, as depression was the center of my life from 1996 to 2002 and I still struggle with it every day. Oh, I functioned the best I could during the worst of it at that time. Yet I know I wasn't myself. I gained hundred pounds and quit caring for a lot things I use to love to do. My kids were important part of my life and thankfully for them, I kept going.
In 2002, I decided I needed to get out of that terrible funk and decided to concentrate on my writing. I figured if I ever was to get published, I needed help. So that year I became involved with my local RWA chapter. I have to say, concentrating on improving my writing and working toward publication helped pull me out of that six year slump. But it's a double edge sword, isn't it? There are plenty writers out there who are addicted to drugs and alcohol, and I certainly understand how they can become that way. Receiving rejections are bad enough, but after become published, the pressure to produce more and better has to be hard. Then the bad reviews must be demoralizing.
I've found when I become depressed, usually I'm thinking too hard and tearing down every word said by those around me. And I start to allow old hurts to resurface, especially when I'm with family. I don't want to be one of those grown adults blaming her mother and dad for all the mistakes they made. They're human. Having children of my own has taught me that.
For now, I take one day at a time. When I feel the darkness surrounding me, I read a good book or watch an exciting movie. Before I know it, I'm feeling better.
Well done, Carla, that's the way!
ReplyDeleteDon't feel you have to suffer alone, Carla. You have friends out here who care - even if you've only met some of us in blogland.
ReplyDeleteXX