Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Buzz

It's all over the internet, Harlequin has started a vanity line. So you pay them money and they'll publish your book. Don't expect the complete book to be edited. Don't expect advertising. Don't expect distribution. That's yours to do. They only print it. That's it. Click here to check it out.

I understand why they're doing it (money), but it doesn't make me like it. Really wished they hadn't attached their name to the brand - Harlequin Horizons.

But I'm not surprised.

2 comments:

  1. Sad to say, but I'm sorely afraid this is the wave of the future. If HQ succeeds with this greasy venture, you can expect ever other major publisher to jump on the bandwagon. Look how easy it will be for them to make money.

    I have seen earthquake-making changes in my end of the publishing industry (magazines) over the last year--things will never be the same there. And greed is driving it. It doesn't surprise me to see something like this happen in book publishing. Again, greed is driving it.

    (Although some are reporting that HQ's parent company is going down the tubes and this is a desperate move to try to save it. Someone likened it to "cutting open the goose to find more golden eggs." An excellent analogy.)

    ReplyDelete