Friday, November 6, 2009

I'm Your Number One Fan

This afternoon, I go to pick up Anne Stuart at the airport and I’m so tickled. I’m such a fan. Not the scary “Misery” type of fan. I don’t even own a sledgehammer.

We’re having our Romance Readers Luncheon tomorrow and Anne is the keynote speaker. She spoke at our RWA National conference in July too and she was so funny. Dry humor mixed with a little naughtiness. Just my type of humor.

Her books, especially her single titles, are edgy and the heroes are almost more bad guy than good. I find them to be interesting and, oh, so sexy. Kind of like the fascination people have for alligators (they eat their young) or owning tigers (think Siegfried & Roy). Even one of her books had the hero accused of killing his wife and children. Every clue in the book pointed to him, but knowing Ann is a romance writer was the saving grace that kept me reading. I will tell you the children were alive. After finishing it, I gave the book away. It wrung me out emotionally. Definitely a sign of a great writer.

She has another book that came out a couple months ago and I’ve been waiting until the luncheon to purchase it and have her sign it. Another reason I waited was the book’s heroine cheats on her husband with the “hero.” Since infidelity is second to child abuse in terrible scenarios, she has really pushed my buttons. But I can’t resist. It always turns out better than I expect. I may not approve of her methods, but she hasn’t failed me yet with a great read.

Well, maybe once. It was a Harlequin (can’t remember the line or title of the book), but she had the hero driving a Volkswagen Beetle. Sorry. He can drive a beat up truck or a junky sedan, but a BEETLE? That is just downright horrifying.

Yes. I know. I have my priorities all screwed up.

Oh, I'm thankful that I get to meet so many wonderful authors.

2 comments:

  1. Strange isn't it, when you meet the author of a book you've read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I've been fortunate. They've all been nice, and kind to me.

    ReplyDelete