
Dictionary.com reads “a novel or other prose narrative depicting heroic or marvelous deeds, pageantry, romantic exploits, etc., usually in a historical or imaginary setting.” That was the most common definition at number one. Number four was “a baseless, made-up story, usually full of exaggeration or fanciful invention.” Encarta Dictionary said something similar. Same as Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary.
Hmmm, I believe there's a trend here. Are you feeling that the definition needs updating?
Well, American Heritage Dictionary has got it together. It reads “1.a. A love affair, b. Ardent emotional attachment or involvement between people; love...” BINGO! By George, I think they got it!
Why are these definitions so important? One, I look up words on Dictionary.com often and depend on it to get them right. Two, I overheard a reader say romance was sex. I disagree.
Sex is a by-product of romance. Most of the time. I believe there can be romance without sex. Just as you can have sex without romance. (Yuck!)
Romance is the best part of the books I love to read. The emotions, the way the man and woman become attached to each other. The need to be closer, to connect, even if it is only to hold hands. Or maybe they can’t touch, can’t be together. The hunger in their eyes, the wary glance, the need to hear a voice or brush shoulders. The gentleness in their tone when they say that special someone’s name. The tremor in their fingers when they finally touch for the first time. The way they sacrifice a part of themselves to be together.
Oooh, romance.
There’s nothing more satisfying to read.
Hmmm, I believe there's a trend here. Are you feeling that the definition needs updating?
Well, American Heritage Dictionary has got it together. It reads “1.a. A love affair, b. Ardent emotional attachment or involvement between people; love...” BINGO! By George, I think they got it!
Why are these definitions so important? One, I look up words on Dictionary.com often and depend on it to get them right. Two, I overheard a reader say romance was sex. I disagree.
Sex is a by-product of romance. Most of the time. I believe there can be romance without sex. Just as you can have sex without romance. (Yuck!)
Romance is the best part of the books I love to read. The emotions, the way the man and woman become attached to each other. The need to be closer, to connect, even if it is only to hold hands. Or maybe they can’t touch, can’t be together. The hunger in their eyes, the wary glance, the need to hear a voice or brush shoulders. The gentleness in their tone when they say that special someone’s name. The tremor in their fingers when they finally touch for the first time. The way they sacrifice a part of themselves to be together.
Oooh, romance.
There’s nothing more satisfying to read.
OMG you did it! You put into words what I've been trying to say to my ex-boyfriend for years now. He always calls the romance novels I read "porn books" or "porn for women" And I've been trying to tell him, yes it has sex in them sometimes, and some books have more of it than other, but I don't read it for the sex, I read it for the story for the romance. Of course it doesn't help that a lot of the times when I argue with him, the cover of the book I'm currently reading is of a man and/or a woman wearing very little and in a rather sensual pose.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to steal your blog entry to post it on myspace, hehe, don't worry I'll link to your page as well. He's going to read this, even if it kills him! :P
Loved the last paragraph, girlfriend!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Saturnmoonie. I'm glad it hit the mark for you. And thanks for posting it. That's a really nice compliment.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dixie Belle.