You’re living on the edge by allowing me free rein in deciding what to
post. But I’ll behave and do what I love to do more often than I like to admit.
Make up lists. Yes. My OCD is showing. To make it a little less dry, I’ve
decided to let my two main characters in Circle of Desire, Olivia St. Vincent
and Collin Ryker, help out.
Carla: Olivia,
what are the top five traits you look for in a hero?
Olivia: Well, let’s see. I never
imagined falling for a man who talked in a near whisper most of the time.
Though I must admit, when he talks, a room full of arguing operatives shuts up
in seconds. That’s a man who can lead.
Carla: So
number one would be a commanding voice.
Olivia: More like number five. The
voice helps get my engine running, but it’s not number one.
Carla: Olivia,
don’t forget this needs to stay PG. So no physical traits to be included in the
list.
Olivia: I’m hurt. You don’t trust me?
Carla: Let’s
say I know you too well.
Olivia: Very well then, let’s get to
it. Trait number four: a hero must be comfortable with handling weapons of all
types. You know how I love guns, especially sniper rifles, the more powerful
the better.
Carla: So an
expert in weaponry. I guess, when it comes to a trait, it would fall in the
category of being protective. That would be number four. Three more to go.
Olivia: A hero must be honorable. He
would never take advantage of those weaker.
Carla: Now
we’re getting somewhere. I agree totally.
That would be number three. So you think Collin is honorable?
Olivia: Humph! Who said we’re talking about him? I thought
you wanted to know about heroes.
Carla: Collin
is certainly hero material. He could’ve killed you instead of bringing you into
his organization, the OS.
Olivia: He could’ve tried.
Carla: Olivia?
Olivia: Oh, okay. Yes. He handled it
rather well the time I held the sniper rifle on him and accused him of
betraying me to The Circle, though he did eventually hand me over to them.
Carla: You
know he didn’t have a choice. Your ex-boss would’ve killed the two OS
operatives he held hostage.
Olivia: Yeah, yeah. Don’t beat me
over the head with it. Collin’s all noble and a bag of chips.
Carla: You sound
almost jealous.
Olivia: Everyone thinks he’s God’s
Gift to the universe and I’m evil incarnate. Wouldn’t you get tired of being
painted like that?
Carla: I’m
sorry. You’re right. Let’s continue on with our list.
Olivia: Alright. Number two. Hmm, this is getting
more difficult. I can’t include body parts?
Carla: No.
Physical. Traits.
Olivia: Don’t get snippy. What is it
that you call a hero who’s a push over when tears are involved?
Carla: Maybe you’re thinking compassionate.
Olivia: Sure. Compassionate. I like
how it goes along with passionate.
Carla:
Ooolivia.
Olivia: That’s not a body part.
Geez. You’re no fun.
Carla: Let’s
move to number one. What’s the most important trait?
Olivia: Easy. He must be
intelligent.
Carla: Smart.
I agree.
Olivia: Collin was smart enough to
fall in love with me.
Carla: I thought we weren’t talking about Collin.
Olivia: Of course, the man’s got a
big enough—
Carla:
Oooliva!
Olivia: Now who’s being naughty? I
was saying he had a big enough ego
without me adding to it.
Carla:
Okay. Go over there while I talk with Collin.
Olivia: Fine.
But don’t believe a word he says.
Carla: Shh!
Behave, Olivia. Collin, thank you for being so patient. It’s only fair to ask you a similar question.
What are the top five traits you look for in a heroine? Starting with number
five.
Collin: Definitely confidence. A
woman must know her own mind and be sure of her abilities.
Carla: Much like Olivia, wouldn’t you say?
Collin: She’s certainly confident in
her skill with guns.
Carla: Why do
I get a feeling you’re saying she isn’t always sure of herself?
Collin: At times, her bravado can be
an act.
Carla: I see.
She acts tough but is a softy inside.
Collin: That’s true though she hates
to admit it. Number four is adaptable.
Carla: Uh, I’m
not sure what you mean by that.
Collin: She understands the world
isn’t black and white. There’s a lot of gray. Sometimes what you believe is
true, isn’t.
Carla: Oh,
okay. Like her believing The Circle were the good guys. That is, they were at
one time, but had gone to the dark side you could say.
Collin: Yes.
Carla: I like
how you’re up front about Olivia being the heroine you’re describing.
Collin: She can be when she sets her
mind to it.
Olivia: I heard that!
Carla: This is
Collin’s turn! Go! Let us talk.
Collin: Number three is
intelligence. A heroine needs not only brains but street smarts too.
Carla: I find
that interesting. Would you like to
speculate on why she placed it as number one for heroes?
Collin: No.
Carla: Would
you at least explain the sexy grin you’re wearing?
Collin: No.
Carla:
Alrighty then. Let’s move on to number two.
Collin: Number two is a heroine must
be loyal.
Carla: Loyal?
You have to explain that one.
Collin: A heroine will sacrifice herself
for the greater good.
Carla: Oh, no,
you didn’t. You didn’t pull the Buffy card.
Collin: I’m not sure of what you
mean, but a heroine will stand by those she loves even when it might endanger
herself.
Carla: Okay.
You can have that one.
Collin: The top one is independence.
There’s nothing sexier about a woman, than one who knows her own mind and
doesn’t need to lean on others, including a man, to achieve her goals.
Carla: Wow! I
love hearing a man say that. When a man isn’t threatened by a woman knowing her
own mind … wow! That’s sexy.
Collin: I’m taken.
Olivia: You tell her!
Carla: Uh-huh.
I wasn’t … I didn’t mean .... Oh, heck.
Olivia: Come here, sugar, so I can
show you one of my goals.
Carla: Anyway,
thanks to Olivia and Collin for helping me out. Quit that, you two! For
goodness sakes, get a room.
I hope you learned a little about what it takes to be a
hero or heroine, and maybe a little about the people whose story the Circle of Desire is about. I will warn
you the story is very hot, and the world they live in violent. A world filled
with assassins and betrayal. But even Olivia and Collin find a sanctuary from
all the craziness by loving each other.
Be sure to always make time for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment