Thursday, September 30, 2010

In Memory Of

When my sister and I were growing up, we enjoyed watching all kinds of movies on television during Saturday and Sunday afternoons. In each movie we would pick our favorite characters. She usually went for the serious male lead. While I would set my eyes on the funny male character. So she would love Dean Martin and I was crazy for Jerry Lewis. Hers was Paul Newman. Mine was Tony Curtis.

Mr. Curtis died yesterday at the age of 85. He was one of those fellows who looked so good but had a sense of humor. I remember seeing a biography on him once. He and his first wife, Janet Leigh, would have friends over and make home movies with everyone playing parts. I always wished I was one of their kids. It looked like so much fun.

On an ironic note, today is the Flintstones’s 50th Anniversary. Tony lent his voice for Stoney Curtis, a character based on him.


(And as kids, my sister’s favorite musician was Paul McCartney and mine was Ringo Starr.)